Monday, January 19, 2015

Replacement bridge for my Samick Corsair MCR-1 mini bass

I have this wonderful 25" scale Samick Corsair MCR-1 mini bass (http://gregbennettguitars.com/guitars/electric/minis/minis-corsair-mcr-1/) that is awesome for e.g. taking on trips. I bought it used with the original strings still in place and there is sadly nowhere to buy replacement strings unless you custom order some.

You cannot simply cut down bass strings as they are tapered on the top end in order to wind easily around the tuner posts. People have resorted to cutting and splicing the ball ends or to soldering a short piece of tubing to create a replacement ball end at the right length.

I don't want to have to do a lot of work on the strings and I want to be able to try out different string gauges easily, so I came up with this "locking" bridge. Similar to the top piece of a headless bass, the string are clamped in place with set screws, just at the bridge end in this case.


The replacement bridge adds a locking section where each string is held in place by two set screws. As the screws that adjust the bridge saddles were in the way, I had to drill the screw holes at an angle. Also I tried to remove as much material as possible on the back which results in this V8 look.


For easy tapping I drilled the set screw holes all the way through. As to not create a string cutter, I closed them again with short set screws that I glued in place and milled down. 


All milling and drilling done on my coworker's mill, thanks again for buying it :)



https://plus.google.com/+VladimirPantelic/posts/c3JS9rmkB2T

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/sub-short-scale-talk.644956/page-23#post-16373686









No comments: